Out on a limb

I recently suffered a broken leg from a fall at work.  I was off for several weeks on full pay.  A friend suggested I should claim compensation, but I fear it could damage my relationship with my employers, who are a small family firm which has been good to me over the years.  What do you advise? EN

The first point is that unless your employers were to blame for the accident, you would not be entitled to compensation from them.  The second point is that they may be insured against liability for injury to their employees, so a claim against them wouldn’t necessarily hit their pocket and might be something you could talk to them about.  It would probably be a good idea to discuss the accident with a solicitor specialising in personal injury cases first; most wouldn’t charge for an initial interview.

Car park attendant

I have bought a semi-detached house, at the back of which is a parking space for the neighbouring property.  I am the freeholder.  Can I charge my neighbour for parking his car on my land?  AH

Possibly, but if you have just bought the property it’s likely that whoever carried out the conveyancing work for you would have mentioned it.  The arrangement as regards the parking space may be referred to on the charges register containing details of your property held at the Land Registry.   If you engaged a solicitor to buy the house, he or she will have studied these documents and should be able to answer any questions you may have.  It could be that the people next door have simply acquired the right to park on your land through putting their car there over many years, or they may have a leasehold interest.  On the other hand they may have no right whatsoever to do so!  But you should get it sorted out.